21 January 2013

Mixed Bag

It's been kind of a good/bad thing here at the Cyber Hermit household lately.

The semester started which is not all bad.  Now that Academic Advising has changed buildings, we don't get nearly as many students coming into our office and asking where the fourth floor is :).  My night class seems to be okay so far.  It's a professor I've had before so I know what to expect in terms of certain things.  I'm only worried about who is going to be in my group for the group project.  At this point in the program, I know the majority of the people and there are some who are definitely in the DO NOT WANT category.  Not yet sure how the independent study is going to go.  I meet with the instructor for the first time tomorrow.

The Spousal Unit continues to be up and down.  He saw our counselor by himself last week and it appears to have been a good appointment - I try not to ask too much about individual appointments or his other meetings since he says he feels "interrogated" - but he has yet to sit down and talk with me re: his homework.  That, however, is on him and I am most assuredly not his mommy.

On the better side, he has asked me to pray with him both morning and night which is something that had gone by the wayside a while back.  It's not necessarily long or involved but we both get on our knees and spend some time praying to God, employing that ol' thanksgiving, prayer and supplication thing.

And God totally got us a new apartment which we will move into in April (the week my final paper is due for my night class!).  Our current place said that since our lease expires March 31st and we will be here 2.5 weeks past that, they wanted to charge us $1900 for the privilege!  We currently have them talked down to somewhere in the $1500 range but...wow.  Their reasoning is this 97% occupany figure they like to tout as to how their 30-year-old apartments are in such high demand (remember, these are the apartments where I came home to find the entire back of the apartment torn off because it was *rotten* underneath).  Our response was the 97% may be true, but how long do these people stay?  In our little four-plex, where we have been for three years, we are the residents with the most longevity.  We are on our third set of neighbors in *each* of the three apartments around us during that time.  Still, God has a new place for us and I've been praying that He will have his hand on everything - including all the money needed to move in and out of both places (and hiring movers!).

In *really* good news, I am finally at my goal weight:


This means I move out of Phase 1 and into Phase 2.  Protein at lunch!  The grilled turkey patty nearly made me incandescent with joy :).  I will spend two weeks in this phase and then move into Phase 3, P3 being the Return of Breakfast.

The only thing I have to watch out for is my mindset.  I know I can get wrapped around the axle over weight and a number like *that*.  Just because I'm changing up what I eat and we're getting my pancreas back into the act does not mean that I am going to balloon up like Violet Beauregard. Away with you, unrealistic expectations!

So there is good, bad and in-between.  I am working on continuing to pray on my own and keep in mind that quote about prayer changing me.  I am still trying to find something that I can study, and let go of what I cannot control. 

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love that CS Lewis quote! And I must say you're looking really good! Way to go!

    Up & down is normal I guess. I get a little salty about the downs, but really housed, clothed, fed here - can't really say too much!

    I like that you guys are praying together :)

    Oh, & reading your post reminds me that I want to add finishing my Mary Russell books to my 50x50 challenge!

    ReplyDelete